ANN MARIE BRYAN
AUTHOR INTERVIEW WITH ASSOCIATION OF JAMAICAN AUTHORS
VIRTUAL BOOK FAIR (DECEMBER 2015)
1. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Currently, I serve as the CEO & Founder of Victorious By Design, an organization committed to providing professional writing services, personal and professional development programs and performing arts services.
I am also an inspirational novelist. I write to educate, inspire and empower others. I desire to tell great stories with fascinating characters to show the awesome power of God in the lives of people and places.
It gives me great pleasure to impart knowledge into the lives of others. My greatest passion is to empower others to succeed by tapping into their God-given potential. I enjoy writing, reading, dancing, teaching, meeting people and traveling.
2. What inspires you to write? Tell us about your books.
My inspiration to write comes from God, my family, friends, and fellow authors. As an inspirational novelist, I write to educate, inspire and empower others. I desire to tell great stories with fascinating characters to show the awesome power of God in the lives of people and places.
My first novel, “Unforgettable, My Love Has Come Along” was written to empower my readers, especially those who are waiting for a most significant gift – a husband. Since then, I wrote a short story, “Mirrored Heart” and recently, a novel, “Shades of the Heart.” Shades of the Heart, an Amazon #1 Best Seller, started my “Encounters of the Heart” series.
Amazon link: http://amzn.to/202n4wd
3. Tell us a little about your writing process?
I like to write in the morning … early morning. I do not write every day. I write whenever I have the time.
Truthfully, writing a book was nowhere on my list of things to do. While I enjoy editing, reading and writing, I never thought of publishing a book. At various times in my life, I kept a personal journal, just to record my thoughts at any given moment. I have even written inspirational ‘poems’ to family members, relatives and friends for birthdays and special occasions. Writing a book … never crossed my mind.
So, how did I start writing a book?
Great question! Glad you asked.
After I got married, several of my friends and relatives (some living miles away) wanted to know how I met my husband. So, I had to share my love story, over and over again. Of course, no one wanted to hear the short version of the story.
Six months later, I was stretched out on the sofa at home on a Sunday afternoon, still recounting my love story. After hanging up from my call, it hit me …Write a book!
A long deafening pause ensued.
A book! A book!
Every reason not to write this book came to mind. Yes, every reason. But, I knew that I had a story to tell. I also knew that if God called me to write this book, He would equip me and surround me with wonderful Godly helpers.
So, like any well-thinking Christian woman, I took the matter to the Lord and felt the peace to proceed with this mission. This led to the publishing of my first book, “Unforgettable, My Love Has Come Along.”
4. How did you come up with the title, Unforgettable, My Love has Come Along?
My courtship and wedding were unforgettable so I knew that I had to use “Unforgettable” in the title. I did not want it to appear as if I was just sitting down and waiting for my husband to turn up at my door. I was living my life to the fullest. Hence, the rest of the title, “My Love Has Come Along”. My husband joined me on my path to fulfill my life’s journey.
5. Why do you write Christian Fiction Romance?
1. Everyone loves a great love story.
2. To encourage readers to apply Godly principles to their relationships
3. To show the striking difference between walking in the Spirit and walking in the flesh with regards to relationships
4. To testify of God’s goodness and faithfulness through fascinating characters
5. To spread God’s Word and promote Christian values
6. To show the nature of God.
6. Do you listen or talk to your characters?
I “listen” to my characters.
7. Where do you see your writing taking you in the future?
I am extremely excited about my writing journey, and I am thankful for the opportunity to share with others. I believe in working together, the exchanging of ideas and sharing of resources, so I hope that my writing takes me all over the world to share at conferences, seminars and workshops.
8. Are there any new writing projects on the horizon?
Yes. Mirrored Hearts: Sealed By Fire, the 2nd book in my “Encounters of the Heart” series will be out early 2016. I also intend to start writing the third book in the series which will detail the story of Chandler Peynard.
9. Can you tell us about your upcoming book?
Just for you – The back cover description of “Mirrored Hearts: Sealed By Fire”.
When life takes unexpected twists and secrets are laid bare – Remember to breathe.
Larry Kanate and his wife, Rozene, would be considered a modern day power couple. Years in the making, they have managed to keep love alive while supporting each other’s dreams.
Their undeniable love connection is unshakeable… seemingly unbreakable, until Larry discovers his wife’s crushing secret. As their picture-perfect world falls apart, she does everything in her power to get away from her past sin, but he is bent on never letting her forget it, all the while keeping his “little secret” close to his heart.
When Larry’s day of reckoning comes, will fear hold him hostage or will he be completely honest with himself and God? Will their marriage be strong enough to survive mirrored secrets? Will their faith help them to handle the ultimate solution – a marriage sealed by fire?
10. What advice do you have for someone who would like to become a published writer?
Go for it!
1. Start typing.
2. Do research to obtain information on how you can best leverage your knowledge and abilities to fulfill your dream of writing. The internet is filled with information of all sorts.
3. Look at all publishing options (traditional publishing, assisted self-publishing , do-it-yourself self-publishing) before making the decision.
4. Benchmark against the best in the area of your writing assignment. Nevertheless, be a trend setter. Do not be afraid to break new ground.
5. It’s okay to ask for help. Don’t be overwhelmed by your lack of knowledge about writing or the publishing industry. Select an individual or group with the knowledge or ability to help you succeed.
6. Stay away from negative people and those who will talk you out of writing your book.
7. Develop an action plan
8. Prayerfully take decisive actions. Move the ball forward, step by step.
9. Be enthusiastic about your book. It will help you to move forward when things are not going as planned.
10. Put a lid on your mouth. Bring “crazy” thoughts under the subjection of the Holy Spirit.
11. Celebrate the milestones you have achieved during the process of completing your book.
12. Stay expectant. Trust God. He will bring it to pass.
Please connect with me at: